healthy

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Help With Drug Addiction at Anonymous Meetings - My Experience

If you are trying to decide if you should go to a recovery meeting, stop thinking and just go. As they say in Recovery if you think you dont need a meeting that is when you need one the most. When I was a teenager I was introduced to Narcotics Anonymous. I did not think I had a problem I was just having fun like everyone else. I didn't realize I had lost trust from friends and family because of my lifestyle. I made excuses for myself.

Drugs are really never the reason for your problems. Your problems are a result of not dealing with issues and feelings that you have (which has probably led to drugs/alcohol).

Life seems to go so fast and most people really never take the time to get to know themselves and why they do the things they do. NA or AA is not a place where people get together to convince one another to stop using drugs. NA is a place where you learn the tools to deal with your problems and take the time to get to know yourself.

The 12 Steps of NA/AA are so simple and you may think you can read them and know all the answers. People at NA/AA spend weeks or months on every step. The very first step is "We admitted we were powerless over our addiction that our lives had become unmanageable."

The 12 step program was actually based on the Beatitudes in the Bible. It says "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

The first step simply means "I need help- I cant do it alone."

The secret is simple we must discover our soft spot, our weak link, our ignorant area and we must become "poor in spirit", humble our attitude, acknowledge our weakness and ask for help.

Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous are such great programs. I do not regret my past, afterall it brought me to Meetings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home